Saturday 11 September 2010

Bikes and Boats

I said I'd share the result of any tweaking I did to the photo I posted a couple of weeks ago for the Gallery.  As I said at the time, I felt that this photograph, which I took very quickly while on our recent holiday in Cornwall, had some potential, so I've spent a bit of time experimenting with it in Photoshop.  It's been somewhat frustrating really, because I have a strong image in my mind of what I'm trying to achieve, but my Photoshop skills are still fairly rudimentary, which means I haven't always been able to achieve completely what I wanted.  Still, I've learned a bit more from it, and I produced 2 alternatives, both of which I like, but in different ways.  The first photo is the original photograph before I did anything with it.


For the following photo, I turned it into a black and white image.  I also removed the yellow lines from the road which I thought were a little obtrusive, and applied a lighting effect to focus on the bikes a little more.


For the final image, I performed the same operations as I did for the black and white version, only this time I just faded the colour a little, while increasing the saturation on part of the bikes to draw more attention to them.


I think my favourite is the black and white image - I might even print and frame that one.

3 comments:

  1. Both those are lovely Jude, but I think the black and white one is my favourite too - it's so atmospheric!

    Would you let me know where you are exhibiting for the Didsbury Festival - I'd like to come and see?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could get the hang of fiddling with my photos, learning through Jessops slowly. Would love to know how you got rid of the lines!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tattie Weasle: The magic of Photoshop and the clone tool. There may be better ways - I've still got a lot to learn!

    ReplyDelete