Monday 24 January 2011

Eureka!

For some time now I've been trying to find a way of successfully transferring digital ink-jet images for mixed-media artwork.  There's lots of information out there on how to do it, and I'd been diligently experimenting with every different method and medium I came across, with at best patchy results. I suspect you need to get the combination of the printing paper, printing ink, receiving paper and medium, right in order to get success.

I read one source which recommended alcohol sanitising gel, which if nothing else has the advantage of being cheap.  So I duly went and bought some.  Used with Epson matt photo paper, and ordinary cartridge paper, the result was reliable and pretty good, with a contrasty, grainy image that I quite liked.  I also tried it with Inkjet OHP film, and that was in some ways even better, giving a softer, almost pastel like image.  These are good enough for me, and while I won't stop experimenting, it at least allows me to achieve some of the ideas I had.

The images below show you the results - they don't really do them justice - a lot of the subtleties are lost, but  I think you can still just about see the difference.

Original Photograph

Inkjet transfer from photograph, using alcohol sanitising gel and Epson matt photo paper. A grainy, contrasty effect is achieved.

Inkjet transfer using OHP inkjet transparency film with alcohol sanitising gel. A softer, more romantic feel is achieved here.

No comments:

Post a Comment